Monday, January 23, 2006

Dan Wakeham becomes the first ever male Brit Snowboarder to make the Olympics

British number one halfpipe snowboarder KAOS client and Nike ACG sponsored rider Dan Wakeham last week finished 5th in the World Cup event in Leysin Switzerland.

Dan qualified 6th in his heat giving him a path through to the finals. And it was here that he really shone stomping a clean run with good amplitude on tricks including Haakon and Cab 9’s.

Dan was totally stoked after the event. ‘I knew I could do it. I’ve been so solid in training and it was only a matter of time before I started taking that form into competition which I’m now doing. My first run in the finals was really clean with good style and amplitude. After everyone had done their first run I was in third place. My second run didn't go quite so well with a crash on a 720 but my first run was good enough to position me with a 5th overall’

The result means Dan has achieved all the qualifying criteria set by the BOA and is now expected to form part of the British Olympic team for
Turin. Dan will be the first ever British male Olympic snowboarder. The final team will be announced next Wednesday 25th Jan. The Olympic halfpipe event is being held on the 12th February in Bardonecchia Italy.

No comments: